Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Holt Turns One!

November 27, 2013

  We had a birthday party for Holt a couple of weeks ago with a few friends and mostly family here at the Ft. Worth Zoo.  It was such a crazy day and we had a few beers to celebrate the craziness being over, but it couldn't have been better.  Holt loved his smash cake and thankfully he didn't throw a fit when we snuck it away from him and was even interested in opening presents.  We had asked people to do donations to Cook's Children's Hospital instead of gifts but I guess people can't refrain from buying a one year a birthday gift. :) We did raise some money for Cook's and Holt loves all his new toys so everybody won. Cook's is an amazing hospital that serves so many surrounding cities and towns, I'm thankful we could give back and for those that donated.  We've never had to use their facility and I pray that we never do, but I'm glad to know it's there for us if that day were to ever come.  I'll be taking a tour of the one year old wing next week, it's part of the Peter Pan Birthday Club, and I have so many mixed feelings about it.  I'm excited to see what great things they have to offer, yet I know it's going to be hard seeing children sick.  I've always said I'd love to volunteer there so hopefully once Holt gets a little older and I have some free time I can do that.  If you are ever looking to donate to something, check out their website.  They are always needing things for their patients and have compiled a wish list.  http://www.cookchildrens.org/Giving/WishLists/Pages/default.aspx

  I don't think it's quiet set in that we have a one year old!  He's no longer a little baby, that in all honesty, is like a little blob.  Haha!  He's this energetic little toddler that knows what he wants, what he doesn't, what he likes, what he hates, he laughs, he smiles, he runs, he walks, he kicks, he plays, and he loves airplanes.  I can already tell I'm going to love/hate this next year.  We've begun the tantrum stage yet the loving stage.  He gives kisses, although he's more likely to give them to the dogs than to us, but he still gives them.  He loves to play chase, whether it's him chasing us or us chasing him, he loves it and giggles the whole time.  He is definitely getting more opinionated about his food and it just depends on the day.  He might love something one day and throw it on the floor the next.  Ruthie and Riley love him during meal time!   He hates diaper changes and getting dressed.  He'd just assume run around in his diaper all day, and he's even learning how to take that off.  Yes, I'm in trouble.  He loves to bring me things he's found on the ground, this is great considering it usually goes in his mouth otherwise.  He loves his daddy and is becoming more attached and clingy by the day.  Dan and I have always talked about how one day Holt won't want to hang out with me, that he's going to want to go do everything with dad and I fear that day will be here before I know it.  I'll miss my little sidekick.  He gets so excited when Dan comes home, I guess I'm old news and I'm not as fun.  He is officially a little person with a great big personality.  He lights up our world and warms our hearts by a little grin or tug on our finger.  He can makes us crazy and make us melt all in a few moments by one simple gesture.  He is our little Holty.


Here's a few pics of his big day.

This was my second attempt at his smash cake and even though it didn't turn out exactly how I'd hoped, I don't think he cared.  Just for future reference, whipped icing is hard to smooth out.  

Holt with all his grandparents. I love this picture.  

Yes, I spent Friday night and Saturday morning baking. 

Holt doesn't go anywhere without one of his airplanes. 



Holt loved being the center of attention when everyone sang Happy Birthday to him.  

I love our little family. 



Little stinker!  I think he loved his cake. 

Uncle Matt and Aunt Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment